If there is one thing I hate seeing here in Japan, it is the huge aftermarket navigation screens glued on or hacked into a hard to replace vintage dashboard. The hakosuka came from the previous owner with a cut up radio panel for just this purpose, but I needed a cleaner mounting solution after spending time sourcing and replacing it.
After trying a suction cup mount on the windshield for a few months, my obsessive compulsive cleaning instincts kicked in. I just couldn’t stand how it got in the way of the sunscreen (and wrinkled it) or left a gooey ring on the glass if I removed the mount.
Since the cheap little modification I hacked together to solve those problems has been working out well so far, I decided it is time to post it. I settled on creating a plastic bracket that could clip in and out of the ashtray within a matter of seconds. This fit the bill of not requiring any holes to be drilled and wouldn’t scratch any visible portions of the dash during use. After rummaging for materials, I found that the clear plexiglass top on a GoPro camera’s retail packaging just happened to be the correct width…and free.