At the end of 2013, I started experimenting with 3D printing in various materials, all in hope of teaching myself a new method with which to fabricate custom parts for my cars and other hobbies. I found that 3D printing opens up a huge array of possibilities when it comes to making one-off pieces, some of which were not possible with subtractive processes like machining or cutting things with a waterjet or laser. I’m really looking forward to wrapping my head around such things and seeing what can be produced.
I thought a great way to start off 2014 would be to share the first fully finished part from my initial round of experimentation. This part is a stainless steel horn button to replace the 2D insert that I made before.
Here is a look at the previous horn button that I wasn’t really happy with.
The first step was to use 3D modeling software to create my idea. Then after sending the file to a printing service and waiting a couple weeks…
this solid piece of bronze infused stainless steel arrived at my doorstep. While it looked acceptable for use as is, I wanted it a bit more finished.
A little filing and sanding of the perimeter and select details to create some contrast.
After a light polish with Wenol, the horn button was starting to look pretty cool.
I wanted a little color so I filled the inner circle with red enamel.
The finished product after drying.
Mounted on the wheel. I really love the layered look and depth that it adds.